FIND IT FAST
Children's Department @ Kelley
The Edward Reed Children's Room has books,
music, magazines, audiobooks and DVDs for children from birth through
middle school. There are 2 computers with educational - games for
preschoolers and early elementary aged children. There is a word processing
computer for use by children, a computer with a wide variety of games for
older children as well as 2 catalog computers.
There is a growing play area for preschoolers
including a Thomas the Train table, a play table with a variety of Duplo
blocks and other toys, and a seating area sized for preschoolers to read
A special Parenting section is offered, with a
broad selection of books to help parents to explore important, delicate or
challenging topics with their children. There are also materials to help
teachers and home-schooling parents.
Guess the Picturebook
- This is a weekly contest for children ages 5-9 in the Fizz, Boom, Read! summer reading program.
- On Monday of each week, a description of a picturebook character will be posted on the Children's Department page of the Library's website (http://www.kelleylibrary.org/childrensindex.html) . Six different descriptions will be posted starting Monday, June 23rd-July 28th.
- Enter your best guess for each of the descriptions by submitting a Google Form electronically. The first person to submit the correct name of the picturebook character wins a prize.
- Prizes may be picked up in the Children's Room.
Week 5 -- Guess the Picturebook Character Contest
- I live with my friend, the man with the yellow hat.
- I am good, but I am always curious.
- I've been lots of places, like the hospital.
- I've discovered a dinosaur!
- I love baseball and outer space.
Who am I? If you think you know, submit your answer
using this form
before Saturday, July 26th.
What's Going On
Programming is offered to children of all ages, ranging from baby lapsit to
programming for tweens and teens. There are a mix of series of related
programs and special occasional programs. The Summer Reading Programs is also
offered each summer. Please check out our
The programs for children ages 6 and below are offered in 9 week sessions 3
times a year. There are regular weekly programs for various age groups, as
well as specialty programs such as Crafts and Music and Movement. Please
refer to the preschool
for complete details.
READ TO DIXIE AT THE KELLEY LIBRARY
Dixie, a registered therapy dog, is a volunteer with the R.E.A.D.
(Reading Education Assistance Dogs) program. This nationwide program
pairs children reading aloud to a registered therapy dog. Offering
one-on-one reading aloud time to a listener who does not judge, laugh or
criticize allows a reluctant or struggling reader practice time to
improve their reading skills. Dixie, and her owners Sue and Tom, are
Delta-certified volunteers who went through extensive training and tests
before they could become participants in this program. Dixie patiently
listens to children reading aloud allowing the children to proceed at
their own pace.
Dixie visits the E.V. Reed Children's Room various times during the
year. Children are encouraged to sign-up ahead of time for fifteen
minutes of reading aloud to Dixie. Check the Children's Room newsletter,
or the library calendar to find out when Dixie will be visiting next.